I have a box of Funfetti cake mix that’s been sitting in my pantry for about a month now, and I’ve been looking for ways to use it. So, with 20 minutes to spare before I had to run off to my first class, I put together some quick and easy cake mix cookies. The recipe is super simple, and the results were good enough that I probably ate more than I should have. That’s okay though, they don’t have any oil or butter, so they must be healthy…right? Oh, and the dough is almost better than the actual cookies. I was going to take a picture of the batter, but then I ate the rest of it. So…here’s what was left.
Cake Batter Cookies
1 box Funfetti cake mix
2 egg whites, 1 whole egg
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. In a medium sized bowl, combine the three ingredients. Mix with a spoon until everything’s distributed.
3. Place dough into 1-inch sized balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Slightly flatten tops of dough with a spoon or your hand.
4. Bake for 9-10 minutes, or until tops start to turn golden. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
The dough was slightly sticky, so I kinda just plopped it on the baking sheet. If you want more polished looking cookies, I’d recommend chilling the dough in the fridge for at least an hour, then roll it into small balls or cut into fun shapes with a cookie cutter. After they were done baking and had cooled, I stored them in the freezer (in an airtight container) so they’d last longer.These are, of course, great for a birthday or party in general. I ended up putting some in a jar to give to my friend for their birthday (along with the cupcakes, because you can never have too much sugar). The rest I’d planned on sharing with people in class, but in reality I ate all 6 by myself. Thank god for stretchy leggings.These cookies are awesome by themselves, or you can use them in these super fun ways:
- Use as the cookies in an ice cream sandwich. Fill with strawberry ice cream and roll in rainbow sprinkles.
- Eat them for breakfast because you’re in college and you can eat whatever the hell you want.
- Serve with a vanilla milkshake because you might as well go all out.
- Pull a Sandra Lee and stick them on a store-bought, pre-frosted cake. Yay, creativity!