Alright, so I’m lazy. Sure, I could wait half an hour to roast my sweet potato in the oven (and yes, it will taste better), but I recently discovered the “potato” button on my microwave. All I have to do is put the whole sweet potato in the microwave and let it work its magic…and it only takes about 5 minutes. Pure magic.
For lunch today, I was running low on groceries so I had to make do with what I have on hand: sweet potatoes, black beans, and onion. One of my favorite ways to eat sweet potatoes is in a hash with peppers and onion. Of course, I’m usually too lazy to make the hash the proper way, and today was no exception.
I don’t think this would even technically qualify as a hash, but I’m not sure what else to call it. Crumbled up sweet potato with black beans? Not exactly the most appetizing sounding dish. Despite my hesitations on what to call my lunch, I assure you it tasted pretty yummy.
Sweet Potato Black Bean Hash (serves 1)
1 small sweet potato (yam)
1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 tbsp light butter
about 1/4 cup diced sweet onion
pinch of chili powder
pinch of garlic salt
1 oz. fat free crumbled feta
1. Cook the sweet potato in the microwave. My microwave has a handy dandy potato button, so I usually let it run on that, checking about every two minutes until it feels done. You can cook the potato whole and unpeeled, just poke it with a fork a few times beforehand.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium pan on medium heat, add some of the butter and the onion. Cook, stirring often, until onion softens and starts to slightly brown.
3. Once your sweet potato is done cooking (mine took about 5 minutes), remove from the microwave and cut it into small pieces. I got lazy with mine and just used my hands to break it into pieces. Add sweet potato to the pan with the onions, and add remaining butter.
4. Cook for 2-3 minutes, and add chili and garlic salt. Once sweet potato starts to brown a bit, add black beans and cilantro.
5. Continue to cook about 2 minutes more, until beans are warm. Remove from pan and top dish with feta.
NUTRITION INFO: 334 calories; 59g carbs; 4g fat; 16g protein; 2g sodium; 758mg sodium